Christ Died For Our Sins According To The Scriptures
“For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures.”
(1st Corinthians 15:3)
The gospel is not just that Christ died. The gospel is how that He died for us according to God’s eternal and immutable decree, “the scriptures” (Acts 2:23: Revelation 13:8).
• The scriptures declare that His death was appointed (Genesis 3:15; Genesis 22:8; Psalm 22; Psalm 69; Matthew 16:21; Galatians 4:4).
• The scriptures declare that His death was voluntary, He willingly laid down His life for us (Isaiah 53:7; John 10:17-18).
• The scriptures declare that His death was substitutionary (Isaiah 53:4-6; 2nd Corinthians 5:21; 1st Peter 3:18).
• The scriptures declare that His death was to accomplish definite atonement for His people (Isaiah 53:8; Matthew 1:21; John 10:15; Hebrews 2:17).
• The scriptures declare that His death satisfied all the demands of God’s holy Law (Isaiah 42:21; Isaiah 53:10-12; Daniel 9:24; Romans 4:25).
• The scriptures declare that His death was most effectual to put away all the sin of the covenant people (Psalm 103:12; Isaiah 38;17; Micah 7:18-20; Hebrews 9:26; Hebrews 10:17; 1st John 1:7).
Every pledge of salvation has its accomplishment in the Lord Jesus Christ: “For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us” (2nd Corinthians 1:21). All that God has promised concerning salvation in Christ is certain and sure: “And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.” (Romans 4:21)