A Short Study of Zechariah 9:9-11
“Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass. And I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim, and the horse from Jerusalem, and the battle bow shall be cut off: and he shall speak peace unto the heathen: and his dominion shall be from sea even to sea, and from the river even to the ends of the earth. As for thee also, by the blood of thy covenant I have sent forth thy prisoners out of the pit wherein is no water.”
God gave to His prophet the very exact description of our Lord Jesus Christ as He entered into Jerusalem to accomplish our salvation, 550 years before it actually happened (Matthew 21:1-11). Zechariah not only describes for us the circumstances how Christ would come but also gives us a very vivid description of Who this is. Notice these things!
1) Jesus Christ is the King of our salvation. “Behold thy King cometh unto thee.” The wise men ask, where is He that is born King (Matthew 2:2). Our Lord as God incarnate, is King of Kings (Revelation 19:9-16; Psalm 2:6; Acts 2:36). As King He is sovereign in salvation (John 17:2; Romans 9:12-16).
2) Jesus Christ is the Just God, “He is just.” That means He is righteous in all His ways and Holy in His character. Stephen and Peter called Him, “the Just One” (Acts 3:12-15; Acts 7:52).
3) Jesus Christ is the only Saviour, “having salvation.” He is not only a Just God but also our merciful Saviour (Isaiah 45:21). Paul often calls Christ, God our Saviour (Titus 1:3; Luke 2:30). He came to give His life as a ransom to purchase His covenant people (Matthew 20:28; Acts 20:28; Acts 4:12).
4) Jesus Christ is also identified with our humanity, “lowly, and riding upon an ass.” Totally, fully God Almighty, yet also a real man (John 1:14; 1st Timothy 3:16; Philippians 2:5-9). As the Godman He honoured the law and perfected righteousness for us (Isaiah 42:21; 2nd Corinthians 5:21; 1st Peter 3:18; Hebrews 9:12).
5) Jesus Christ is our Peace with God, “he shall speak peace unto the heathen.” Surely, no one else has the authority to speak peace unto the sinner, but Jesus Christ Himself (Ephesians 2:12-17; Romans 5:1). He made peace with God for His people through the blood of His sacrifice (Colossians 1:19-22).
6) Jesus Christ is our Deliverer, “by the blood of thy covenant I have sent forth thy prisoners out of the pit wherein is no water” (Romans 11:26). Our blessed Lord came to set His people free (Luke 4:18). From the curse of the law (Galatians 3:10-13), from the bondage of sin (Romans 6:14), from the terror of death (Revelation 1:18), from the grip of the devil (Hebrews 2:14).