A Short Study of John 12:26
“If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.” (John 12:26)
What an honour it is to be a servant of the Lord Jesus!
It is an honour that is not confined to any particular condition in outward life.
Not only are those who labour in the word, Christ’s servants, but also the humblest labourers in His vineyard!
Nor is service to Christ confined to direct efforts in spiritual work:
- The mother in the midst of her family, endeavouring by her spirit and example to train her children aright;
- The servant in the kitchen, doing her work heartily as to the LORD;
- The hard working labourer in the field;
- The attentive mechanic in the shop;
- The honest clerk in the office.
Not rendering eye-service as a men-pleasers, but doing their work faithfully and well, as the LORD’s redeemed people.
All of these are as truly Christ’s servants, as those who are occupied more exclusively in spiritual work!
All who serve Jesus faithfully here, will dwell with Him hereafter. All who follow Him on earth in the path of self-denying love and obedience, will share His glory in Heaven.
Servant of Christ, called now to suffer reproach and shame, let the assurance of your Saviour cheer you: “If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.”