Anna The Prophetess
One of the people rarely spoken of, when the history of the birth of Jesus is mentioned, is Anna the prophetess. Just three verses in the whole of Scripture are all we are told about this lady, but there is enough in those few words to tell us she was a true believer in the Lord Jesus Christ.
In fact, there are seven things in this short account which commend Anna to us.
1. She was consistent. It appears she had only been married seven years when her husband died, and then, until she was eighty-four years old she devoted her whole life to the worship of God in the Temple, waiting for the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ.
2. She was a true worshipper. She worshipped God in spirit and in truth.
3. She was willing to sacrifice the greater part of her life to the Lord’s service.
4. She was a woman of prayer.
5. She was guided by the Holy Spirit.
6. She was thankful to God for the gift of His fear Son.
7. She spoke of Him to others who, like her, were looking for the coming of Christ.
May we be seeking the same grace as Anna had, and especially to have a personal knowledge of the Saviour.
Gerald D. Buss