What Is It That Is Best Forgotten?
“Forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before.”
1. Forgetting my days of rebellion and unbelief is best for me, and everyone else! People sometimes want to erect “monuments to the meanness”. If we must recall the past, let it be with shame, not levity.
2. Forgetting my profession in false religion! And my attempts to produce a righteousness before God.
3. Forgetting even those good works and deeds done in the name of Christ. When Paul recalled his efforts in the ministry, he said, “I am a fool in glorying.”
4. Forgetting all misunderstanding and careless divisions with my brothers and sisters. If God remembers my sins no more – I would be an ingrate to remember yours!
5. Forgetting the past and reaching forth unto those things which are before! “Lord, remember me when you come into Thy kingdom.” And we shall be satisfied when we awake with His likeness.
By Henry Mahan