A Study of John 19:30
“It Is Finished” – John 19:30
What a treasure chest of truth is to be found in these few words of our blessed Savior on the cross!
What exactly did He finish in His suffering unto death?
(1) All prophecy in the Old Testament concerning Him was fulfilled – “Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me” (John 5:39).
(2) The Old Covenant was abolished by way of fulfillment – “Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second” (Hebrews 10:9).
(3) His suffering unto death was completed – “But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God” (Hebrews 10:12).
(4) The redemption of His church – “Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us” (Hebrews 9:12).
(5) The justification of His people – “Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus” (Romans 3:24). Christ made an end of sin and an end of the law for His people.
(6) The destruction of Satan – “Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil” (Hebrews 2:14).